We have recently released Ember 2.1. Before you panic and think your Ember 2 is obsolete, don't! The change was minor. In short, we changed up the input jumper configuration to offer a couple more options with almost the same amount of pins (Fran's clever dice jumper layout).
Now let me explain why we made this change. We recently added a resistor to the whole product lineup that further killed scratch in the volpot as certain tubes / random tubes had micro levels of leakage that were higher than others. This could cause scratch even with the input caps in-line. This resistor further eliminated this and took it to the next level. However it had a side effect on a handful of tubes such as 12at7's or 12ax7's that could be heard in high efficiency IEM's. The result was a slight but noticeable increase in background hiss. (The joys of being compatible with such a wide variety of tubes HA!) So Fran's suggested a simple but effective 4 way dice jumper to give our customers more options on the input side with Ember for micro tweaking capability. Thanks to a great customer Eric for helping spot the combination of things that increased hiss with his IEM's)
Before: You could either have the input capacitor in-line or bypass it. Many Audiophiles like this better even though it can cause a scratchy sound in the volpot as a micro amount of DC makes it through
Now, we have 4 total settings:
- Through cap + resistor = default setting / results in ultra low volpot scratch with certain tubes that are a little leaky
- Bypass only the input resistor = This can lower background hiss on certain tubes like the 12ax7 / 5751 or 12at7 with ultra high efficiency headphones or IEM's
- Bypass input capacitor = Some purists do not like an capacitor on the input side so we give this option to eliminate it. Usually results in volpot scratch with most tubes but does not hurt anything
- Bypass the input cap AND resistor = For the purist that wants to lower background hiss on certain tubes like the 12ax7 / 5751 or 12at7 and not have an input cap
Oh man that sounds so complicated, what do I do? HA! It is actually simple as it gets like most of our settings. Changes can be made in REAL time while listening to music or background levels. Literally move a pair of jumpers and listen to the change or lack of change. If you like it better, leave it. If you like it less, change it back. Yes, life can be that simple! As with ALL settings on our designs. There is virtually NO right or wrong. Just what sounds best to your ears and THAT is what matters.
In other news:
- Polaris, Sunrise, Horizon and Ember CNC chassis are back in stock and rolling!
- Linear Power Supply chassis are now in the works and production boards are here. More to come soon on this beast!
- More tubes being loaded onto our facebook page tomorrow 3-19-16
- Looking forward to an office move this August or September depending on when things are completed. More room to expand and larger shop!
- The worlds supply of the beloved DIP-8 LM4562 opamps has come to a virtual end. They were discontinued which seriously risked the life of our budget monster Project Starlight. Have no fear - we have secured and made a large enough investment that Starlight will sing for the foreseeable future with our choice of opamps!
Our Project Kameleon in-line filter is shipping.
- Kameleon is a powered in-line EQ that accepts modules custom designed for individual headphones. Issues with the headphones response are addressed - corrected. This takes already good headphones to the next level!
- Quite a few Kameleon modules have already been designed for a large qty of headphones - Feedback is outstanding! Once you hear a properly corrected headphone, going back is almost impossible.
- Kameleon has a power loop / output so you can use your stock G1217 amplifier power supply to power both Kameleon and your G1217 amplifier. The power switch on Kameleon will turn your amplifier on and off too!
- Kameleon is available as a stand-alone product with its own power supply. This way - you can use it with ANY source / amplifier combo you like!
- Kameleon is an active filter and NOT software based
- The filter module can be totally bypassed without industry trickery (circuitry to make a bypass sound worse without the filter). This way you can truly A/B a filter module
To learn more about the in-line Kameleon filter, please visit our site and DIYAH forum!
We now have a production -20dB and play attenuation cable for sensitive headphones!
- Presents 35ohm load to your amplifier
- 3ohm output resistance
- Best suited for headphones 12-64ohm (12-300ohm good with high sensitivity headphones)
- -20dB reduction in output level
- 6.3mm plug (to your amplifier) with 3.5mm jack for your IEM's or other (3.5 back to 6.3 adapter easy to source)
Why it rocks:
- Plug and play -20dB reduction for sensitive headphones
- Added protection for using sensitive headphones with high power amplifiers
- Significantly lower background noise (if your amplifier has hiss or even low level hum - this adapter will really knock it out)
- Built with rugged pro-sound grade components (Neutrik 6.3mm gold plug / 3.5mm gold jack) with aluminum shell
- VERY nice custom cable used
- Precision Vishay / Dale resistors used
Our NEW! 5670 / 2C51 / 396A / 6N30 TO 6922 / 6DJ8 ECC88 adapter is released and shipping! This is the new V2 universal version of this adapter. The orignal was for G1217 amplifiers only, this new V2 adapter is for any styles that can utilize this tube type with an adapter. It also features a hole in the PCB for LED light to shine through for amplifiers that have under tube LED lighting. Get yours today in the Parts / Adapters - Buy section of our site!